How Not to Start a Shopping Cart Project
“How hard can it be …”
“Well, that was your job …”
These are words are an expression of an attitude that could break your shopping cart project. If you start into your first shopping cart project, expecting that you can put it together in an afternoon, you will find yourself with a stressed afternoon … and evening … and next day. If you expect a staff member or contractor to put your shopping cart project together in an afternoon, you may send that person looking for employment elsewhere.
Choose Shopping Cart Software Based on your Needs
- Match the software to the type and number of products you have available.
How to Start a Shopping Cart Project
So, sit back, have a cup of tea or coffee, and let yourself soak in the learning curve.There are three parts of the project to plan for.
- Understanding how to choose and use the shopping cart software.
- Thinking through how you want your shopping cart to look and work.
- Making sure you have all the information about your products in digital format.
What Information Do You Need about your Products
- Do you have high quality, digital photos of all your products?
- Do you have digital descriptions of all your products?
- Do you have all the information about your products in a spreadsheet or other format that can be easily imported into a shopping cart system? If you don’t, products will have to be entered one at a time, and you won’t be happy with the time and cost.
- Is that spreadsheet correct? (One time a man told us to take the list of his products from his web site. We proceeded to do that only to find that many of the products we had added were “discontinued”. He was very angry at the work we had done. But, he had not been specific.)