It’s all about that Viewer, not You
- It allows the viewer to by-pass the rest of the page to get where they want.
- There is limited space horizontally on a website.
- The use of dropdown menus helps overcome the problem of horizontal space, but those rollover menus are problematic on small devices.
- How do you fit your entire message into 6 – 8 menu items? This requires careful consideration of your categories.
- If you add dropdown menus, you will have to do some rethinking for mobile devices.
USING THE CONTENT AREA FOR NAVIGATION
With the WordPress Kahuna theme, the whole content area of the home page is a type of navigation. There are two sections on the home page. Although they only show posts, not pages or categories, you can create a specific category for them to pull from that controls what shows. With that feature, you can make them pseudo navigation into important categories on your site. And, the theme allows you to say how many Featured Boxes you want and how many you want per row. At this point, I have chosen to have two rows with 4 Feature Boxes in each row.
But, my choices of which posts to feature are pretty random. Now that my content categories are taking shape, I need to make this section more organized. What topic are important enough to my message to warrant a position in the 8 Featured Boxes?
- SEO & Social Media
- Communication and Marketing
- Business and Server Issues
- Tools and Technologies
- Cookin’ and a’Codin